At step four, you’ll schedule time to meet with the other party to begin communicating the delegation:
- Identify specific results to be achieved: Clearly identify what you want the final result to be.
- Focus on the results wanted or needed, not how they are achieved. You limit people if you do this and run the risk for micromanaging.
- Outline the rules and limitations: Clearly state the givens that cannot change and are not negotiable.
- Help people understand what resources are available.
- Review the performance standards: Set the performance standards with the individual and review the criteria for clarity and agreement.
- Find out what questions they have. What do they need? What’s unclear?
If you set expectations well in this meeting and focus on results, you’ll empower people to take ownership and get better results in the long-run.