On this show:
- 1. Set time limits
- 2. Engage enthusiastically
- Ask questions, tell them what you’ve heard, make eye contact, and smile.
- You’ll feel better too.
- Do what Dale Carnegie said, “Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.”
- 3. Help them land the plane
- What ultimately happened?
- Given all you’ve said, what conclusion do you draw?
- What did you learn from all of this?
- So, what do you recommend for us?
- 4. Interrupt Between Breaths
- Use as a last resort
- “Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.” -Dale Carnegie
- If you take one of these four actions, it will be a more productive conversation for yourself and for the chronic talker too.