This episode is brought to you by our High Impact Presentations course. A key objective of this course is to teach you how to handle tough questions in pressure situations. Learn more about our next programs in the Los Angeles area at http://carnegiecoach.com/impact.
From a listener:
“As my stress level rises on these calls, my emotional intelligence declines. I think I want to make my next area of focus maintaining composure under great stress.”
Five steps to handle hostility effectively:
- Listen – understand the heart of the issue
- Paraphrase – take negativity out of the question
- Cushion – find a point of agreement
- Respond – use the 3-step process covered in episode #123
- Bridge – send a positive message, ask a test question, move on to next question, or close
If you can maintain composure under pressure, you’ll find that you’ll influence others more effectively and gain respond from difficult audiences, even if they don’t agree with you.